What you will do matters. All you need is to do it.
Ask me anything
- Andrew: "I loved her. I gave her the best I had."
- Miranda: "Did you ever consider that maybe she didn't give her best? Maybe she was the one who didn't measure up?"
- Andrew: "No."
- Miranda: "Maybe you should. Or maybe you should consider that the best you had and the best she had didn't equal the best together. Marriages fail all the time. People get over it."
- Andrew: "Maybe if they didn't get over it so easily, marriages wouldn't fail so often."
- Miranda: "And maybe if people didn't pretend love makes the world go round, they'd pick their partners with more care."
- Andrew: "Love does make the world go round, Miranda. That's why the world's so fucked up."
I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such a means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen this? Can you fail to understand my wishes? - I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others. - Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in
I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father’s house this evening, or never. Persuasion
- Connie: "Love me! Love me, and say you'll keep me. Say you'll keep me! Say you'll never let me go, to the world nor to anybody."
- Mellors: "Then I'll keep thee. If tha wants it, then I'll keep thee."
- William Killick: No harm will ever come to you. Not from me, not from anyone else. And while I'm here, no word of mine will ever hurt you.
- Vera Phillips: Sounds like a vow.
Sweetheart, do not love too long:
I loved long and long,
And grew to be out of fashion
Like an old song.
All through the years of our youth
Neither could have known
Their own thought from the other’s,
We were so much at one.
But O, in a minute she changed -
O do not love too long,
Or you will grow out of fashion
Like an old song.
They were parted at last, although
Each was tenderly dear;
As asunder their eyes did go,
When first alone and near.
‘Tis an old story this—
A trembling and a sigh,
A gaze in the eyes, a kiss—
Why will it not go by?
- Eddie: It's over. Why can't you just let it go?
- Jane: I can't.
- Eddie: Why?
- Jane: Because I was happy. Because if this theory is wrong, men don't leave all women, Eddie, they leave me.
- Eddie: I know what it does to you. I know. Maybe that's why we hold on as hard as we do. We just can't believe that such a miracle could ever happen to us twice. But it can. Some day you'll find it again. I promise you.
- Harry Burns: I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
- Sally Albright: You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you.